Wednesday, June 26

My Upstairs Hall: A Guest Corner

I know, you're wondering how does a second-story hallway become a guest corner?
No, I don't mean a space for guests to sit and hangout (although they seem to do that anyway), but rather a place my overnight guests can easily find all they need to feel at home.
See, the corner of my upstairs hall not only connects all our bedrooms but has an overlook into the living room. That makes this overlook the "hall hangout"... especially when we have overnight guests. Mornings inevitably start with some friend or family member peering over the railing into the living room to see what's going on. That makes this space important, not only aesthetically, but practically! That makes it the perfect and easily accessible space to store all my guests needs.


A Hall Makeover
Hallways, just a pathway from someplace to someplace? Maybe, but I want to enjoy the process of getting there! I couldn't stand the ugly multi-toned hallways, and I hate to waste space, so it was time for an update! I don't know what the original decorators where thinking with this nasty puke & pink multi-toned wall application. I wasn't sorry to see it go, but I did feel kind of bad for all the work they had put into it...I could tell it had been done by hand, and it was throughout the entire upstairs and downstairs hallways. 
The walls are now brightened up with "Cobblestone" a Martha Stewart (Glidden) brand paint from Home Depot, and a few DIY framed pieces. I have also given it some much needed organization, because ewww, I can't believe that before! In my defense...no, no there are just no words. 


Ok, I have to give you a close up on the art...it's so much prettier (and more glittery) up close! I shared how to make these 15 minute (or less) art pieces with no more than some painters tape and spray paint! Learn how here.



The Evolution of a Bookcase
This bookcase was a hand-me-down from the grandparents, and the ugly wood veneer reminded me of it's dated origins every day. After a couple years I took some paint to it, but being a bit of a paint virgin at the time, I didn't do it right at all! It needed to be re-done the right way: I start with a Kilz spray paint primer, give it a new coat of white paint ("White Petal", a Color Place selection from Walmart), and painted the backing with some of my new favorite mystery color that I found in the paint discount section of Walmart. To protect my new finish I ended with a coat of wipe-on polyurethane to seal. 



The Guest Storage Shelf
Every year my husband and I host 10+ friends from our college days, and it was just easier to house all the guest necessities in one common location. A lot of these items are typically stored in a bathroom, but what happens when the bathroom is occupied and one of those 10+ people inevitably forgot to grab a towel or their toothpaste so they could use a different open bathroom? It just made sense to store everything I use for my guests easily at hand. Then there are no interruptions while making breakfast for 15 (which always seems like 30).

Towels & Washcloths
I use to set towels on my guests bed, and I still do it when it's one or two friends, but after years of hosting our alumni group overnight I learned that it was easier to put the towels all together in one place. You never know when someone needs an extra towel for hair, or prefers a certain size or feel, so I let them know where the guest shelf is and the choice is theirs!



Sheets & Pillow Cases
I decided to store my "guest only" sheets sets here as well. This way the kids don't mistake which sheets are off limits... and since my munchkins are all crafters (that means crayon marks on their favorite work space -their beds), yes I do reserve sheets for guests. 



I've been drooling over wire baskets forever, but not their price! So you know my policy, when feeling cheap...create! I made two large (and one small, not pictured here) baskets from one $8 roll of hardware cloth. These were the first baskets I made, so the edges were less than perfect, but I kind of like the imperfect look so I didn't bother fix it. I promise to share the how-to...it is ridiculously easy to make!


Pillowcases are stored in three small baskets at the bottom of the bookshelf. I love baskets, and I really loved the price of these pretty baskets when I purchased them 50% off at JoAnn's Fabric Store! I found quite the basket assortment for $2-$5 each on sale!! 



Forgotten Toiletries Basket
Every house needs to have a basket filled with items your guest may have forgotten. Believe me, your guests will feel relieved to know that you always have the little things covered.


Guest Slippers
In my opinion, it is worth going the extra mile to provide the little comforts that make your guests feel at home. Unless you don't want your guests to stay too long...I won't judge! *chuckle*



Ironing Accessories
I don't store my iron or ironing board in the upstairs hall, but when I am having weekend or week long guests I bring those items out and they go next to the yellow cup (used to add water to the iron). It is also nice to keep ironing starch, and a lint roller handy.



Decor Pillows
While I'm keeping all my guest oriented items in one place...I figured I might as well keep the extra decor pillows at hand. What can I say, the nicer guest spaces look the happier I am, even if it ends up being a blow up mattress in the living room once all the beds are filled. *wink*



Keeping a shelf with all my guest items in one central location has made life easier for me as well as my guests. Now 10 different people don't have to seek me out when they need something, and no one has to suffer embarrassment requesting the more personal items that may be needed.





Linky Love:




10 comments:

  1. Beautifully done! Found you via Pinterest. Love the wire basket idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! What do you put in your forgotten toiletries basket? I'm creating my own but haven't finished it off yet (ie, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A better question is what DON'T I put in it? Lol! All of the obvious plus those odd & ends guests often need and get overlooked, such as: contact solution, shower caps, new hair bands, razors, a special area (locked or up high) for aspirin, antacids, and allergy medications. Well, you get the idea!

      Delete
  3. Love this. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want to know how you fold your sheets so nicely! they look so pretty and mine are always a bundle of mess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coming over from Remodelaholic link up! Great job! Love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love this idea. I think it is fabulous to have such a well stocked place for your guests. The bookcase is perfect and all the baskets are fabulous. I need to find a small shelf or something to put inside the closet in my small guest room. This is such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I host so many people at once, it just made life simple for them. ;)

      Delete

Thank you for posting. Your comments mean a lot to me! But to help prevent spam, comments have to be moderated, so you may not see them post right away...