Wednesday, May 14

How to Make Cute DIY Drawstring Bags


I've gotten that organizing itch again... with all the crafty projects, summer road trips, and junk drawer-like messes, I've decided to bring things back into order using drawstring bags.
What can I say, I'm the naturally messy type, and being able to scoop up items and toss them into like groups just helps keep messes to a minimum.



With three kids everything I own gets a lot of wear and tear, its ridiculous how much wear and tear considering I have all girls! I'd like these bags to stand up against the onslaught of use, so for these bags I'm using the sturdiest material I own; Smart-Fab's disposable art & decoration fabric. It is strong, it doesn't fray or fade with washing, and it is great for painting on, making this the material of choice for a durable and attractive drawstring bag! 


Smart-Fab material comes in rolls so you can make bags of any shape and size. I'm thinking about creating some long drawstring bags to house my kids kites, beach gear, and a dozen other items we lug around throughout the summer. 
I was surfing through the Smart-Fab Pinterest page, and was impressed with all the things you can create with these large rolls! With kids I'm always looking for sturdy craft materials, and if you're a mom you are too, so if you want more info take a look at their website or Facebook page.


The color swatch book let me preview the variety of colors so I could determine which I would love most and get rolls in those colors. I am a sucker for bold greens, blues, and of course black and white, but my ever girly girls begged for some drawstring bags in pink and purple. Aw, I'm a sucker for my munchkins...sure why not, some  in colors for me, and some for my girls! 


I'll share step-by-step instructions on how to sew drawstring bags below, but first I thought I'd share the fun I had painting designs after sewing. The girls also enjoyed painting their drawstring bags, but were a little shy about me sharing their creations on the blog. Ah well, you'll have to take my word for how adorably cute their designs were...but then again, I might be biased. *grin*


When painting your drawstring bags, insert a little piece of cardboard or paper to protect against the paint seeping through. Some of my drawstring bags have a different design on the back.  A great idea for organizing is to paint a picture of the items the bag will house, or to stencil a word saying what goes in each bag on the back. 


Steps to Sew A Drawstring Bag







You're ready to feed the string or ribbon through the top, and paint your drawstring bag. Once the paint dries, organize your knick knacks, sit back and admire your awesome work!



Linky Love

8 comments:

  1. Simple and cute! Love how you embedded your own pattern design on top of them, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Onel! You have a fantastic blog...I will have to follow along! ;)

      Delete
  2. LOVE these precious bags! I totally adore the colors and geometric shapes you used. Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm a sucker for geometric shapes, lol!

      Delete
  3. What a cute idea and I love the geometric designs on the front. It's give it a touch of modern class. I love how simple it is too, I think this is going to be one of the first projects I let my daughter try and sew. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Yes, my kids absolutely loved this project! It is great for any beginner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute idea! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easiest tutorial I've seen so far! Can't wait to make dozens of these for all my stuff!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting. Your comments mean a lot to me! But to help prevent spam, comments have to be moderated, so you may not see them post right away...